Sunday, March 10, 2024

Costume design research

My character's costumes is something I want to pay close attention to. I know costume design is very powerful and important when telling a story. An article I read speaks about how before even starting the costume designing process, one must fully understand the script of the film as well as tone, themes, etc. This is something I'm very fortunate to already understand, since I have created the aspects of my opening. However before I fully decide on my costume design, I will re-read my script and story outline to put myself in Georgia and Ivy's shoes, to create the most accurate costumes possible. 

I also found this youtube video that I thought broke down costume design very well, it was linked to the article I previously mentioned- 


In the video they speak about how you have to consider things such as where the characters are located. Georgia is for sure going to dress very casually in this opening. She's just at home and hanging out with her friend. I feel like she would wear baggy clothes. A lot of teenagers do, so it's realistic. I also feel like she would find it comforting, which she would like. I could also imagine her with a flannel that looks very worn out. Ivy will look a bit more put together. I feel like Ivy has her life more put together then Georgia does, so it would make a lot of sense. I have many of the things I'm describing at home, so I have to go through my closet and see what will work. If I'm missing something important, I can go shopping for it. They also speak about colors and how much of a story they can tell, which is why I will of course dress Georgia in blue.


Lady Bird is a film I think did costume design very well. Lady Bird's costumes are very realistic and fit her so well. Most of the colors are very brown and sort of feel dull which I think fit the overall story of the film very well. However, she still add funky things to her outfits like jewelry and prints, like stripes, showing us the type of person she is. Accessories is something I will for sure add to my costume design. 

Here are two examples of costume design in Lady Bird-

I found this picture on this website!

I got this picture from this video!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Here's my film opening, Blue Hour, hope you enjoy! https://youtu.be/ddxkeEc9vCg?si=y3H_fJ-qOmY4-Jnl