Friday, March 1, 2024

Blue Hour Script

Writing, writing, and writing, I love it. I take multiple classes in school that involve writing, so I feel like my skills have developed. Before writing my script I still wanted to do a little bit of extra research so I could do my very best. We took notes in class about formatting but I wanted to look at an example before I wrote to make sure my script made sense formatting wise. 

I found this website about formatting a screenplay, which I found very helpful:




This was a nice reference to have while writing. I had most of this formatting for scripts information written in my notes, such as the interior being aligned to the left and the names of characters being all capitalized, but regardless, it was nice to see it visually. 

One other thing I wanted to research before I wrote was how to make the most out of my side character, which by the way, I named Ivy, with this list of girl names! I wanted to make my side character have personality, I don't just want to use her as a filler character, and I wanted to make sure of this. So I found an article which breaks down four ways in which you can make a side character important. Something I learned from this article is that visual elements can really help a character, I hadn't fully thought about Ivy's mise-en-scene, I don't think I wanna add too much blue to her costume, I'm thinking of making her juxtapose Georgia by adding red to her costuming, since it shows anger, which in this opening, fits her, since she is very short-tempered. 

Anyway, I got finally got to writing, and here it is!



My script is sort of short, this is because the only scene that has dialogue is my flashback. Much of my film is silent because I believe silence speaks volumes. It adds to the tension to the opening. I also wanted the dialogue to be very realistic. In class, we learned about show, don't tell, which states that you should consider if what is stated is necessary, showing words with expression instead of saying everything is important, realistic, and powerful. Show, don't tell is why the sentences in my dialogue are short, because I want feelings to be shown rather than said. We also spoke about how often times, teens interrupt each other and don't speak in full sentences, which is also why i included non-complete sentences and interruptions. I want my film to feel very realistic, so I tried to observe how teenagers in my school speak and apply it, since my characters are two teenage girls.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Here's my film opening, Blue Hour, hope you enjoy! https://youtu.be/ddxkeEc9vCg?si=y3H_fJ-qOmY4-Jnl