Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Genre, genre, genre

Drama! My favorite genre in the whole world. I have decided to do it for my project. I actually had some second thoughts about this choice because I thought about going out of my comfort zone, but the more I thought about it, my enthusiasm about drama would allow me to be extremely passionate about my project, which would likely produce a good result. To make sure drama was for sure going to be my pick, I decided to revisit this article. I had previously read this article and I think it perfectly describes drama, why I love it, and why it fits in the realm of the film opening I'm trying to create. 

Firstly, the article speaks about how dramas show realistic characters with conflicting situations and how they act towards their issues. This is something I would love to explore in my film opening. I love when films use realism because it typically makes the story feel relatable. That's exactly what I want to do with my opening, I want it to be relatable to others so they feel seen. 

Secondly, the article tells us drama is big on the use of words and how characters communicate. Using certain words with certain connotations can be so powerful, and I adore how drama indulges in that. I would be very careful when writing my script for this reason because I want things to be interpreted correctly since connotation is a big deal in drama. 

Lastly, drama is big on subtle reactions according to the article. Most if not all things a character does has meaning in dramas. And again, this is something I would use. I want there to be a bit of silence in my film opening, not the whole time (since dialogue is important), but at least in the beginning, and this would create tension. The silence of my character would have meaning.


This clip from "Kramer vs. Kramer" is a great example of a drama. At the start, the woman says "I'm leaving you." The man answers (while he's on the phone) with " Honey, please I- I- can't hear." Showing denial. It demonstrates how every word used has meaning even if it's a double meaning since he probably could hear her but didn't want to accept her leaving him. I also thought the use of mise-en-scene like the costumes and set were cohesive. They all have neutral colors which help make the scene depressing. I would love to incorporate cohesive mise-en-scene in my opening to create a certain tone.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

Here's my film opening, Blue Hour, hope you enjoy! https://youtu.be/ddxkeEc9vCg?si=y3H_fJ-qOmY4-Jnl